If the driver causes an accident

If an accident occurs

All accidents must be reported to the police, whether they are serious physical injury accidents or just minor accidents (such as a scraped headlight, or stripped paint from a bumper scrape). If you are involved in an accident, immediately stop your vehicle. If someone is injured, take action as described in steps 1 to 3. For all other property damage accidents, take action as described in steps 2 and 3.

1. Aid the injured.(Call 119.)

Assist the injured. (Dial 119 and report the accident if an ambulance is required.) Next, move the rental car to a spot where it will not obstruct other traffic without delay.

2. Contact the police from the scene.(Call 110.)

Both the person causing the accident and the victim of the accident are required by law to report the incident to the police. Since an accident report will be required at a later date, the driver must complete the necessary formalities. Failure to report an accident will result in Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) will not being applicable. However, even if the driver reports the accident, he or she driver will be liable for payment of an NOC (Non-Operation Charge) as compensation for business interruption.

3. Contact the rental company from the scene of the accident.

Be sure to contact the rental company shop shown in the rental agreement (Loan certificate).

If collision occurs on a highway

Highways are extremely dangerous. In the event of an emergency, pull over to a spot that is safe as possible, evacuate to a safe place outside the vehicle and call for assistance using an emergency or mobile phone.

1. Light hazard lamps and move onto the shoulder

2. Place flare cylinder and warning reflector behind the vehicle

3. Evacuate to outside the guardrail

4. Call to ask for rescue by emergency phone or mobile phone

Please also refer to the following external sites.


Customer responsibility in case of an accident

*In the event of an accident, you must pay the deductible.

*If you enroll in the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) when using your rental car, you can be compensated for the amount of deductibles for objects and vehicles.

*However, if you violate the rental agreement, or if reasons for exemption of the insurance agreement or the compensation system apply, the insurance / compensation system cannot be used. Be aware that, in that case, you must bear any damages due to an accident.

*A Non Operation Charge (NOC) is assessed as compensation for business interruption in the case of accident, theft, malfunctions and other problems that are not the responsibility of the rental car company.

*You will still be responsible even if you have Collision Damage Waiver (CDW).

*Charges may vary, depending on whether the vehicle is (or can be) returned to the originally designated location.